Sunday, March 13, 2011

Ruby Affairs

         Last night I attended my third drag show. All thanks to Ohio Northern University.  As much as I try to be open to new things, I am a very conservative person by nature. Let me provide a little background.
         Annually Open Doors, an Ohio Northern organization, hosts The Ruby Girls to perform. The Ruby Girls are men that have come together to perform as women. Their main purpose is to have fun with students and raise money for Aids research and awareness. 
        In order to involve students, individuals are asked to participate in the drag show and perform a song dressed as the opposite sex. The show is a competition between student organizations measured by which team raises the most money.
       As nervous as I was to attend the first, second,...and third time, I have not regretted attending. Seeing friends dressed up and prancing (or strutting) on stage is hysterical. This year's winning group was close to my heart.  My Delta Zeta sorority sisters performed alongside our Sigma Phi Epsilon sweetheart and came in first place. The group raised over $170 for the cause. 
I respect my sorority sisters for taking a risk and enjoying themselves.  Dressing up like a man and dancing on stage is not something I think I could ever bring myself to do.


      For all you out there that are conservative like me, learn this lesson from my experience. Different is not always bad, and life is too short to be serious all the time. Bye for now, be sure to look at the picture of the winning team below.  It is just BEGGING for compliments :)



2 comments:

  1. Even though I have heard about the drag show event all four of my years here, I never attended. I don't know why I didn't want to go, I don't have any excuses and I heard that it was a funny show. I talked to two of my friends who also were there last night and they were still laughing about the things the drag queens were saying and about what they were doing. I wish I would have attended because I think I would find it to be hysterical as well.

    Although I am not too conservative, I definitely agree with you when you said, "Different is not always bad, and life is too short to be serious all the time." I try to live my life by those words because it makes everything much more enjoyable. It goes along with what Van Wilder has said: "You shouldn't take life to seriously. You'll never get out alive."

    (ps. I don't think I know anyone in that picture, but it is funny)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was my first Rubi Affair experience, and somehow I got dragged into performing. As nervous as I was to channel my inner Beiber, I am so glad I ended up going through the performance. I had such a great time, and I will probably participate in the even next year.

    I also agree with what you said, "Different isn't always bad." It is events like Rubi Affair that help me branch out to appreciate different ways of life and help bring attention to worthy causes like AIDS awareness.

    ReplyDelete